⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF calendars (was: problem with times in PSD dataset)

From: Cecelia DeLuca <cecelia.deluca>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:59:10 -0700

Jonathan and all

There are aspects of this decision that relate to data sets, models,
model/data
set alignment, tools, and the scope of the CF user base.

I agree that changing the default is problematic. Tools (and people) would
have a hard time with prior to change/post change datasets that used the
default,
in which the only calendar indication was the version of CF used.

However, the current default is also problematic - reasons I see are:
1) it does send a message to modelers who find the default unusable,
2) because different calendar defaults are used on the modeling and
data side, current tools are limited to particular calendars, affecting
users,
and 3) the mixed Julian-Gregorian calendar is an ugly beast to peg as the
standard forevermore.

It's probably possible to overcome 2) by updating tools to include
additional
calendars. The calendar definitions in CF are pretty clear and it does
not seem necessary to change existing ones, but maybe it is a good idea
to add another, strict Gregorian (error before 1582).

If the calendar default was removed in a future version of CF, this would
create some issues, but it would also have benefits that may outweigh them:

Some data sets would be CF compliant only under particular versions of CF.
Is this the first time that a change to CF would have such an impact?

Some tools might be modified to expect all data sets to specify calendars.
These would produce errors if no calendar was specified, or in some cases,
as Jonathan suggested, the user could be asked to provide the calendar
if none was found.

However, I imagine most tools would continue to assume the current default.
The way to talk about these tools could be that they would work on
CF-compliant
data sets that spanned versions of CF pre/post removal of the default
calendar
I would expect that most software based on CF would not have to change.

This does not seem so bad to me. The removal of the default solution should
not produce the nastier kinds of errors that you would get if you
changed the
default.

People will weigh costs and benefits differently - and I may be missing some
major consideration above - but for me, it seems like it's worth
it to remove the weird default calendar and move on.

Best,
- Cecelia