⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name proposal for total ozone in DU

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:41:16 +0000

Hi All,

After considerable thought, I do support addition of this std_name, but recommend that we add a comment to the description (as described below).

The problem is that

atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone (proposed, units = moles/m2, typically expressed in DU)

and

equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content (already in CF, units = m, typically expressed in DU)

are essentially the same. Although they have nominally different units, the usual unit used in both cases is Dobson Units (DU). 1 DU was originally defined as 10 micrometers of ozone at STP (ie a unit of distance), but can equivalently defined as 446.2... micromoles/m2 (ie, related to 'moles/m2'), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobson_unit. The conversion is trivially done through the ideal gas law.

A user putting ozone column data into CF is just as likely to use one std_name as the other, and use DU for the units in either case. It would be appropriate to compare the data directly (with no unit conversion if both are put in as DU).

Hence, different datasets may contain the same data using different std_names, which isn't ideal.

On the other hand, the official units are different, and we have a related issue where we have separate std_names for quantities in 'moles' and 'mass', which are often trivial to convert between in many cases.

If these were the only aspects to consider then I would be against the new std_name. However, there are many more species than ozone, and ozone is the only one that I see expressed as equivalent thickness. This means that we will surely end up wanting atmosphere_mole_content for other species, so it makes sense to have it for ozone too. For me, this tips the balance in favor of accepting the proposed std_name.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can mitigate the problems using an alias because the std_names have different official units.

Hence, I propose that we simply add a note at the end of the descriptions for atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone and equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content alerting users to the existence of the other std_name:

"Note: Ozone columns can be stored in either equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content or atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone."

Best wishes,

     Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.