⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name proposal for total ozone in DU

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 13:33:23 +0000

Dear Christophe and Roy,

Thank you for the discussion; I think we are agreed! The name will go into the standard name table as follows:

atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone; mol m-2
Definition: ' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for ozone is O3. atmosphere_mole_content_of_ozone is usually measured in Dobson Units (DU) which are equivalent to 446.2 micromoles m-2.'

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added at the next update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065