⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 12:26:17 +0000

Dear Heiko, Philip, All,

Earlier this year Heiko Klein proposed the following three standard names for cloud:
high_type_cloud_area_fraction
medium_type_cloud_area_fraction
low_type_cloud_area_fraction
which received a considerable amount of discussion regarding both the names and their definitions.

 Towards the end of the discussion (16th May) Philip Cameron-Smith asked two questions:

> Are there any other visual classification schemes in common use other than the current SYNOP one?
>
> Is the current SYNOP scheme likely to change significantly?
>
> This isn't my field, so I don't know the answers. If the answer to both questions is 'no', then I will drop all my objections.

No one responded directly to Philip's questions and Heiko asked on 11th June whether we could regard the names as accepted. I have now reviewed the full discussion and note that Eizi Toyoda stated (http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2012/055649.html) that the SYNOP scheme has remained unchanged since 1975 and was unlikely to do so in the near future, so I think we can take that as a 'no' to Philip's second question. Regarding Philip's first question, I note that Bruce Wright expressed the view (http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2012/055642.html) that the classification scheme is sufficiently widely used that it doesn't need to be attributed to any particular 'owner'. I have also confirmed with Heiko (offlist) that there isn't any 'competitor' to the SYNOP classification, so I think we can also answer 'no' to the first question.

As there are no further outstanding objections to these names, they are now accepted for addition to the standard name table.

Based on the definition of the existing cloud_area_fraction name and the discussion of the proposed names I have written definitions as follows:

high_type_cloud_area_fraction: ' High type clouds are: Cirrus, Cirrostratus, Cirrocumulus. "X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X. Cloud area fraction is also called "cloud amount" and "cloud cover". X_type_cloud_area_fraction is determined on the basis of cloud type and not on the vertical location of the cloud.'

medium_type_cloud_area_fraction: 'Middle type clouds are: Altostratus, Altocumulus, Nimbostratus. "X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X. Cloud area fraction is also called "cloud amount" and "cloud cover". X_type_cloud_area_fraction is determined on the basis of cloud type and not on the vertical location of the cloud.'

low_type_cloud_area_fraction: ' Low type clouds are: Stratus, Stratocumulus, Cumulus, Cumulonimbus. "X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X. Cloud area fraction is also called "cloud amount" and "cloud cover". X_type_cloud_area_fraction is determined on the basis of cloud type and not on the vertical location of the cloud.'

These names and definitions will be added at the next update of the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065