⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for surface aerosol optical properties

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:27:51 -0700

Hi Markus,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I have been tied up in reviews and things.

I don't think anyone else has responded yet to your email prompt last month.

I like your proposal for "_due_to_dried_aerosol". It seems to address all the concerns on that point.

However, I had some other concerns (my email March 9, 2012) that I don't think have been resolved yet: please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) I am not sure what you mean by "surface_volume_", since a surface is infinitesimally thin. Do you mean _volume_ of air near the surface? If so, couldn't that be done using the vertical coordinate and avoiding a whole lot of "surface_" std_names? Or, am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

2) You appear to have changed from _hemispheric_backscattering_ to _spherical_backscattering_.

However, this appears to be the same definition that is already given to both _backscattering_ and _backwards_scattering_ (see examples below), which are integrated over angle (according to their descriptions). Although it is confusing because the units for some of the existing std_names use Sr-1, and some don't, so there maybe inconsistency in the existing table. In summary, I am resistant to adding either of your new terms unless we determine that neither old term will work.

Hopefully one of the original proposers of those terms is still on the list and can clarify what is going on with the existing scattering std_names&units. I have attached a screenshot of those terms below.

Best wishes,

     Philip

[cid:image001.png at 01CD9826.1826D630]

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.