⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] request for new standard name

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:16:36 +0100

Dear Christophe

If wikipedia is correct, 1 Dobson unit equals 10 micrometres of the quantity
equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content. The canonical unit
is metres for this quantity in the standard name table, but any unit which is
dimensionally equivalent to metres is acceptable. So it would be fine to
specify units="10 micrometres" or units="10 um" (I think udunits accepts "u"
for "micro"). This would be numerically equal to Dobson units.

The udunits table doesn't include Dobson units. We still have not provided a CF
version of the table, as we have several times discussed doing. If we did, we
could include a definition for dobson = 10 um.