⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] request for new standard name

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:06:33 -0700

Hi Christophe,

I think what you want is equivalent_thickness_at_stp_of_atmosphere_ozone_content, which has units of meters, and a definition of:

"stp" means standard temperature (0 degC) and pressure (101325 Pa). "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including content_of_atmosphere_layer are used. The equivalent thickness at STP of a particular constituent of the atmosphere is the thickness of the layer that the gas would occupy if it was separated from the other constituents and gathered together at STP.

It is not what one would naturally think of as an atmospheric chemist, but it is intended to be understandable by a general audience and consistent with other CF terms.

Alison, could we add "Dobson Unit" to the description to make it easier to find?

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.