⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Another potentially useful extension to the standard_name table

From: Robert Muetzelfeldt <r.muetzelfeldt>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:18:43 +0100

Hello Roy,

On 14/09/12 08:23, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am becoming concerned that a 'design by committee' data modelling
> process for Standard Names is unfolding on the list.

> The risk is that this will result in a series of disjoint extensions
> with significant semantic overlap hung off the standard name. I can
> already see this happening with Martin's 'compound' concept and
> Jonathan's 'species' concept.
Well, that's a good reason for developing a semantic-grammar approach
for representing standard names, something I've been arguing for for
some time. It avoids these ad-hoc extensions, which are also much less
expressive than a grammar. (Commenting on the XML design does not mean
that I endorse the use of extensions...).
> Such a process is the inevitable result of the 'best efforts' culture
> that underpins CF. For example, Martin is driven to present an XML
> encoding rather than a use case because he knows that an encoding has
> more chance of being taken forward than a use case.
> This leads to ask the question whether there is any possibility of our
> doing the job properly. Who would be interested in getting involved?
> Is there any possibility of putting together a consortium to develop a
> proposal for funding to do the job? I know one golden opportunity for
> such a process has just passed by, but others will undoubtedly come
> along.
This is a good idea, and I'd be happy to join in. What process do you
want for eliciting members and taking things forward: this list, or do
you want people to contact you off-list?

Cheers,
Robert

--
-----