⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dimensionless vertical coordinate values

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:19:18 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for clarifying.

The original source of the confusion was example 4.3, where the
dimensionless vertical coordinate is itself one of the formula terms.
Similarly for hybrid height (where the "dimensionless" vertical
coordinate isn't even dimensionless!)

I've been through this discussion with several people prior to bringing
it to this mailing list, and no one could provide a definitive answer on
the expected behaviour. But slowly we settled on the definition that you
have confirmed. So I think CF would benefit from a couple of
clarifications. Firstly in the written description in section 4.3.2
(dimensionless vertical coordinate), and the choice of example. And also
in appendix D, where the description of what constitutes the
dimensionless vertical coordinate is not consistent across schemes -
sometimes it's "hidden" inline within the term descriptions; other times
it's a distinct sentence of its own.

Should I create a trac ticket containing a proposed clarification?

Richard Hattersley AVD Iris Technical Lead
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
Email: richard.hattersley at metoffice.gov.uk Website:
www.metoffice.gov.uk