⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for standard name "surface_snow_cover_binary_mask"

From: Jim Biard <jim.biard>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 14:43:58 -0400

Jonathan,

That sounds great! I was thinking there needed to be some way to capture the 42% figure.

So, to sum up, the standard name and definition would be:
surface_snow_cover_binary_mask: The value is 1 where the snow cover area fraction is greater than a threshold, and 0 elsewhere. The threshold must be specified by associating a scalar coordinate variable with the data variable and giving the scalar coordinate variable a standard name of surface_snow_area_fraction. The value of the scalar coordinate variable is the threshold value.

Does that look/sound right?

Grace and peace,

Jim

Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites
Remote Sensing and Applications Division
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard at noaa.gov
828-271-4900