⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] support for multiple auxulary coordinate variables

From: Jim Biard <jim.biard>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 14:29:00 -0400

Hi.

The new grid_mapping scheme looks great! It accomplishes, in a more backward compatible way, most of the things that I was suggesting.

Regarding Jonathan's reply to my previous comment:
If I read a temperature using a thermometer, the value does not have a geographic coordinate system associated with it. If I also use my handy GPS unit to read my location, I can associate that location with the temperature. The location does have a coordinate system associated with it, and in fact is nearly meaningless without one. I could also use more traditional surveying tools and determine a location with respect to an entirely different coordinate system. The coordinate systems naturally associate with the locations, not the temperature. The current CF approach leaves the coordinate system association with a given regular or auxiliary coordinate variable unspecified (in any direct fashion). In order to determine the coordinate system for a coordinate, you must search the data variables for an association with the coordinate (through shape or through the coordinates attribute), then find the grid_mapping attribute. The new scheme represents an improvement, but I still find myself asking why we
 are placing a fundamental attribute of a coordinate anywhere other than directly with the coordinate.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites
Remote Sensing and Applications Division
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard at noaa.gov
828-271-4900