⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] "local" time?

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:41:08 -0700

Hi folks,

I noticed in the cf docs that for time specification:

"Note: if the time zone is omitted the default is UTC"

Which makes sense. However, in our case, our model doesn't know a
thing about time zones -- it's the responsibility of the user to make
sure all data input is in the same time zone (it will convert some
stuff for you on input). So when we write output files, we don't
specify a time zone.

For the most part, that's fine, but one of out users if finding that
their client software (MATLAB, in this case) is time-shifting for
them, presumably because it's taking non-specified as UTC, and their
local time zone is what it is -- i.e. not UTC. That's actually pretty
smart of their software, but isn't the right thing in this case.

So is it possible to specify "unknown" or "local time" as a time zone
in a time unit specification?

Note that our model is designed to work anywhere, so the time zone of
the computer its running on is irrelevant.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer