⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dimensionality of Label Variables

From: Jim Biard <jim.biard>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:39:36 -0400

Hi.

It appears that the requirements and recommendations section 6.1 is confusing label coordinate variables and label variables that are designated as auxiliary coordinates. There's actually some other things in the discussion of coordinate variables that appear to be confusing or in error. As an example, there is a recommendation in section 5 that speaks of multi-dimensional coordinate variables. I didn't think there was any such thing. There are multi-dimensional variables that are declared as auxiliary coordinates to another variable, but the restrictions associated with true coordinate variables don't attach to them. (The statement itself - that there shouldn't be a match between the name of the variable and any of the names of its dimensions, is true; but I think that's true for all non-coordinate variables.)

Grace and peace,

Jim

Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites
Remote Sensing and Applications Division
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard at noaa.gov
828-271-4900