⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for sea level change

From: Lauret Olivier <olauret>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:48:50 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

In that case the following entries should be required:

tendency_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m/year)

Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor. Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time.

tendency_of_sea_surface_height_above_sea_level (m/year)

"Sea_level means mean sea level, which is close to the geoid in sea areas. "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time."

amplitude_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m)

"Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor. Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. Amplitude is the magnitude of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function."

phase_of_global_average_sea_level_change (degree)

"Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor. Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. Phase is the initial angle of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function."

..Plus one new standard name for coordinate variable:

 harmonic_period

"A period is an interval of time, or the time-period of an oscillation."

Thanks for all,

Olivier.