⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for sea level change

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 16:01:15 +0100

Dear Olivier

> I appreciate the idea suggested by Philip, which is remove 'local' and simply use "tendency_of_average_sea_level_change". I think it's a fine solution.

I'm sorry to say I still have concerns with this:

* Why is "average" needed? As Philip said, we usually convey that idea in the
cell_methods, which can distinguish if necessary between a local point
measurement e.g. "lat: lon: point" and an area-average "lat: lon: mean"
or "area: mean". Or does "average" refer to the time-mean?

* "Sea level change" is not well-defined. Could you say more precisely what
this quantity is, if it is not change in ocean thickness (that was my guess)?

Best wishes and thanks

Jonathan