⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Warming up old stuff - 4 (emissions)

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:39:10 +0000

Dear Alison, all,

    thanks for bringing this to a conclusion, and thank you also for your thoughtful comment. I like your idea of broadening the definitions somewhat to allow for a little more flexibility in the practical use without having to invent new standard_names for every new combination of sectors. I am only wondering (but this should be a discussion under a different thread), whether "comment" is the right attribute for such things. Without having checked the standard_name table for this, I assume that there are some other occasions where additional clarification is at least useful if not mandatory. "Comment" is rather general and optional. For the sake of improving CF to become better suited for interoperability purposes, it may be a good idea to either formalize the way the "comment" attribute shall be used (the standard_name table could indicate if there should be a comment attribute available for any given standard_name), or, alternatively, to extend the syntax of standard_names to add "mandatory" or "recommend
ed" comments right there (for example "tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_carbon_monoxide_due_to_emission_from_energy_production_and_distribution: IPCC source categories 1A1 and 1B as defined in the 2006 IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories".)

With this, I hope that we can close the discussion on the emission names soon and let them see the light of the next table.

Best regards,

Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----