⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for sea level change

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:16:57 +0100

Dear Olivier

> tendency_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m/year)

This one seems fine to me.

> ? tendency_of_local_average_sea_level_change (m/year)

I am not quite sure what you mean. Is this the tendency of "sea level" wrt
some terrestrial reference frame? In CF standard names, "sea level" is used
to mean "mean sea level" e.g. in sea_floor_depth_below_sea_level. Is it
necessary to specify the reference frame? I believe this can make quite a
difference.

For the annual amplitude and phase, semiannual amplitude and phase, I am
wondering if we could use cell_methods somehow. The annual amplitude, for
example, could be described as "range within years". The cell_method of
"range" was proposed in ticket 65 so should appear in the next version of CF.
This comes under the heading "Climatological statistics" in CF section 7.4.
What do you think? I suppose that these quantities are just single numbers
in the end, are they?