⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [lc-cci] proposal for new CF standard names for land cover observation and classification

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:56:36 +0100

Dear Martin

> LCCS stands for a conceptual tool for legend definition but not for
> a legend. In other terms, it does not provide a list of land cover
> names but a set of building blocks (i.e. land cover descriptors). ....

I see. Thanks for explaining. In that case it will not be possible for the
CF_checker to check whether a variable with standard_name of unlccs_land_cover
has a legal value. The data-user will have to depend on the data-writer to
have been correct. Also, it implies that there are sets of equivalent values
for variables with this standard_name e.g. with the same building blocks, but
in a different order. That will be the responsibility of the data-user to
resolve, I suppose.