⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to represent a "pft" dimension

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:10:45 +0100

Dear Etienne

If you need more area_types to be defined, such as the ones you list, that
should be fine:

> Water
> Evergreen Needleleaf forest
> Evergreen Broadleaf forest
> Deciduous Needleleaf forest

etc. To have the same look as the existing ones and standard names, I guess
we would put them in as evergreen_needleleaf_forest, etc. I am sure it was
expeced that types such as these would be put into the area_types table.

> As many models can have different PFTs, depending on their complexity,
> I don't see an advantage in making a standard name table for this,
> because its use would be limited.
> Although, if the list is comprehensive enough, it should be sufficient
> for all needs

It could be an advantage in that it would standardise the use of certain
phrases for certain PFTs, like the area_type table and the region table.
However, I agree that it is not essential.