⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] (new) standard names: concerning "heat_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_advection"

From: Lang, Günther <Guenther.Lang>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:53:36 +0200

Dear All.

I would like to store heat flux data (a vector quantity) in a CF compliant way.

I am only interested in the component which is due to advection by the

current velocity.

I do suggest adding the following four standard names to the list of valid standard names.

1.) x_heat_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_advection [W m-2]

    "x" indicates a vector component along the grid x-axis, when this is not
    true longitude, positive with increasing x. The specification of a physical
    process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a
    single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity
    named by omitting the phrase. In accordance with common usage in

    geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called

    "flux density" in physics.

2.) y_heat_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_advection [W m-2]

    "y" indicates a vector component along the grid y-axis, when this is not

    true longitude, positive with increasing y. The specification of a physical

    process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a

    single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity

    named by omitting the phrase. In accordance with common usage in geophysical

    disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics.

3.) upward_heat_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_convection [W m-2]

    "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward

    (negative downward). The specification of a physical process by the phrase

     due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of

     terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase.

     In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per

     unit area, called "flux density" in physics.

4.) magnitude_of_heat_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_advection [W m-2]

    "magnitude_of_X" means magnitude of a vector X. The specification of a physical

    process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single

    term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by

    omitting the phrase. In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines,

    "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics.

Because it is the first time that I do suggest new standard names I would like to know:

a) Are the names consistent with the "Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names"?

   I have the impression that "x_" and "y_" occur sometimes somewhere in the

   middle of the standard name expression

b) Are there already alternative names available which I may have overlooked?

c) In case the suggestions are ok, how long will it take until the the new names

   are "officially" available?

Thank you.

Best regards,

G?nther Lang