⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: TOYODA Eizi <toyoda>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:42:27 +0900

Hi Philip,

Very precicely speaking, what we propose is simulation of high/medium/low
cloud area fractions following SYNOP rules. Some operational NWP models do
a kind of simulation of cloud that would be observed by humans at surface.
This is a kind of substitute of manned surface observation, so I believe it
will be useful more and more.

Regarding generality. Some people may consider it roughly compatible with
height-based definitions like ISCCP. It's up to users. But we have to make
definition clear, mainly to avoid comments requesting use of vertical
coordinate variable. Cloud type-based classifications doesn't have natural
vertical coordinate, and new names are only necessary for such parameters.
Height-based classifications can be described with existing standard name
"cloud_area_fraction" with vertical coordinate variable.

Synoptic observation (coordinated by WMO) is probably only well-known
type-based classification. And it has been unchanged at least since 1975,
and I personally think it isn't likely to change for many years.

Above is my understanding but I believe and hope original proposal from
Heiko is not too far from that.

So now I see no problem to register high/middle/low_type_cloud_area_fraction
.

Best Regards,
Eizi