⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 09:01:33 +0200

Hi,

the idea of putting a source of the definition to the name makes sense
if you want to include several definitions. This is the case for
cloud_area_fraction and isccp_cloud_area_fraction. So, if we had already
one definition of high_clouds, I would go for the SYNOP_high_clouds. But
we currently don't have several definitions, and CF should make it's own
one. And we currently agree very well on which definition to use.

I don't like the idea of putting the responsibility for the definition
into others hands. If the SYNOP definition changes, the CF-definition
should not. CF-definitions should be self-describing and not rely on
other parties.

Even if we used a prefix, we would still need the 'type' as discussed in
the beginning of this thread, i.e. because high is neither altitude nor
height, but a implicit name. So I would currently still prefer

high_type_cloud_area_fraction
middle_type_cloud_area_fraction
low_type_cloud_area_fraction

Best regards,