⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: TOYODA Eizi <toyoda>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:46:21 +0900

Hi Heiko,

How do you feel following names?

high_genera_cloud_area_fraction:
  Cirrus, Cirrostratus, Cirrocumulus
middle_genera_cloud_area_fraction:
  Altostratus, Altocumulus, Nimbostratus
low_genera_cloud_area_fraction:
  Stratus, Stratocumulus, Cumulus, Cumulonimbus

Even in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud the meaning of "low
cloud" depends on contexts. You and I and US-NWS share the same definition
of "low cloud = St + Sc + Cu + Cb" as used in CL of SYNOP report. But these
clouds have different height, and some people use more coordinate-oriented
definition of "low cloud". WMO Intl Meteorological Vocabulary says "low
level cloud = St + Sc". I would say "low and cumuloform cloud", but some
seems to define "cumuloform = Cc + Ac + Cu + Cb".

So it's better to be creative on names to avoid ambiguity.

Eizi