⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] identification of vector components

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:42:15 +0100

Dear Jonathan et al.

I appreciate the concerns and I agree that the current situation provides the information required, however I do not feel comfortable with the way it is done: I think it is open to ambiguity and I am concerned that there are multiple standard names for what I consider the same phenomenon.

My perspective is that standard name should be independent of coordinate definitions: I think this can be achieved without impacting existing datasets and I think it would be a progressive step, adding clarity to interpretation of vector quantities.

> Can similar tests be used with Grib conversion? I assume that Grib must provide sufficient metadata to indicate whether the grid is lon-lat.

Yes and your assumption is correct, there is sufficient information to deliver interoperability, but implementing this is adding complexity which I feel is not necessary and may cause future issues maintaining the special cases. One of the reasons I raise GRIB is that it treats vector component as one phenomenon, as I have described, not two as is done in CF currently.

all the best
mark

p.s. I am away on holiday from today, so I will pick up this discussion on my return