⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] identification of vector components

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:50:40 +0100

> The problem I have with what you are proposing is that we would then potentially have two different standard names for the *same* quantity, and until such time as we have a way of handling that properly, we ought not do it.

I do not feel uncomfortable about this. I feel that this situation already exists in a number of situations.

For example, there are ocean models which use a tri-polar horizontal model grid, with 2 northerly poles and a normal south pole. The consequence of this grid for vector components is as follows:

 - in the southern hemisphere:
   - x == eastward
   - y == northward
 - in the northern hemisphere
   - x != eastward
   - y != northward
   - the amount of discrepancy changes as either of the northerly poles is approached

The Ocean models I know of write out vector components as x-<standard_name> and y-<standard_name> so in some locations x is east and in other locations it is not

I suspect there are other datasets created where x may mean east.

I feel it is a better compromise to allow x to mean east and encourage data consumers to be careful in interpreting vector components. I believe that https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/79 will help data consumers with this.

mark