⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 Conformance Requirements/Recommendations

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:05:50 -0700

My previous email might have been blocked so here it is again:

Dear all,

I support the first paragraph, but concerning the last paragraph below, I would suggest being more explicit about the difference between a data "void" and simply when there is "no valid data for an element". Also do the rules given in that paragraph apply only to "Representations of collections of features in data variables"?

As written, it seems like someone reading this paragraph wouldn't know what to do when they were working with a dataset, which was a function of latitude and height in meters with an auxiliary coordinate of say height in feet. Suppose all the data were missing at one height. If "missing data" implies "missing auxiliary coordinate value", as a read the current text, then you would be required to keep the height in meters (the coordinate), but indicate "missing" for the height in feet (the auxiliary coordinate). Also, what is one to do if it is missing only a one latitude?

Is this what is called for? Does it make sense? I would vote no to the 2nd question.

regards,
Karl