⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 Conformance Requirements/Recommendations

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 17:53:05 +0100

I think that the important factor in the text posted by Jonathan:

'''Generic applications should treat the data as missing where any
auxiliary
coordinate variables have missing values; special-purpose applications
might
be able to make use of the data.'''

is that it puts the onus on interpretation on the downstream
application, with some advice; this is better than requiring the data
provider to

I feel that having the capability to have missing data stored in
auxiliary coordinates is important. Whilst the interpretation of the
meaning of such encoding needs some care, I feel that the specification
should not be too restrictive on this.

I have a use case to consider:

 Phenomena as Auxiliary Coordinates

   The distinction between a data variable and an auxiliary coordinate
can often be quite an arbitrary one.
   A data variable may be used as an auxiliary coordinate for another
data variable which shares the same coordinate variables.
   Consider - coordinates x, y, z and t
            - relative humidity data with respect to x, y, z and t:
            - pressure data with respect to x, y, z and t
      I would not want to alter the specific humidity data in any way as
a result of adding the pressure data as an auxiliary coordinate.
   A post processing application may choose:
        - to interpret the pressure data auxiliary coordinate missing
data as missing data indicators for the relative humidity data to enable
data regridding onto specified pressure levels;
        - to compute the variability of the humidity measurements,
ignoring the pressure data;
     these are operational choices, made by the software.

I think CF should enable data to be stored to enable such processes to
take place, and not mandate that one or other storage method is correct.