⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] netcdf4 and CF-1.6

From: Russ Rew <russ>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:16:55 -0600

Hi Corey,

> On 30/03/12 15:01, Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
> > To the CF group in general, how can I help to introduce groups into
> > the CF conventions? And also extend CF to HDF5? What's the first
> > step I need to take?
>
> My experience is that coming up with a proposal or two is a good start,
> as it will often get people to helpfully point out improvements (or,
> sometimes, that the whole idea was crazy!)
>
> I'd suggest specifically covering how subgroups would work (e.g. treat
> each as a fully separate netcdf or merely as a hierarchical naming of
> variables or ..?) and what would be appropriate to hold at the root
> level in each case.
>
> I'd also suggest treating HDF5 as a separate thing - if you get the
> groups sorted, then it's effectively the same thing as netcdf4
> non-classic model even at the library level, iirc, so you'd get it
> almost for free.

In addition, I'd suggest considering some of the issues raised in this
white paper, "Developing Conventions for NetCDF-4":

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/papers/nc4_conventions.html

It definitely needs some updating, but it incorporates suggestions from
various sources since it was first drafted.

--Russ