⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for defined global attribute names

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:19:13 -0400

Ah, I think I see - you're using 'institution' the way 'station' or
'cast' might be used
in a collection of feature types. Do all the possible instance
variables (station, profile...)
need to have standard names, too?

I think what's confusing to some of us is that the concept of
coordinates is normally
about location in time and space; Is the use of the 'coordinates'
attribute really correct
here, or would it be more appropriate for the institution to be an
ancillary variable?

If I understand what you're conveying with this CDL, 'institution' it
looks really similar to
the NODC 'instrument' attribute. In that convention (built on CF)
'instrument' is a
specific adaptation of the 'ancillary variables' concept. The term in
the 'instrument'
attribute contains the name of a variable that describes the
instrument(s) that
collected the data. I think a similar approach - a new attribute that
conveys the
relationship between a "data variable" and an ancillary variable -
would be more
clear in this case.

Regards -
Nan