⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 Conformance Requirements/Recommendations

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:22:26 -0400

Hi All -

I agree with John Caron's wording.

It should be the responsibility of the application using auxiliary
coordinates
to respond "predictably". In many cases this would mean ignoring data
where
coords are missing, but that's not "unpredictable." Trying to draw a
point at, or
calculate a distance to, a null location would be unpredictable behavior.

I don't think this puts too much burden on software developers, but I'm
curious
to know if others see it differently.

Thanks - Nan

On 3/28/12 2:09 PM, John Graybeal wrote:
> suggest the more general "but applications using the auxiliary coordinates to work with data may respond unpredictably when the auxiliary coordinates are missing."
>
> john
>
> On Mar 28, 2012, at 10:07, John Caron wrote:
>
>> On 3/28/2012 10:49 AM, John Caron wrote:
>>> I think we have a number of valid use cases for missing data in aux coordinates, and i would vote to allow that.
>> sorry i didnt really answer jonathan's concern. I would suggest this wording:
>>
>> Auxiliary coordinates do not have to be monotonic or have unique values, and may contain missing values. Data providers may choose to put valid data where the auxiliary coordinates are missing, but applications are free to assume that data is missing where the auxiliary coordinates are missing.

* Nan Galbraith        Information Systems Specailist *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                 (508) 289-2444 *