⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] surface_air_pressure vs air_pressure_at_sea_level

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:19:59 -0400

Hi all -

I have a question about the use of the terms 'sea_level' and
'surface' in the following definitions:
> air_pressure_at_sea_level: sea_level means mean sea level, which
> is close to the geoid in sea areas. Air pressure at sea level is the
> quantity often abbreviated as MSLP or PMSL.
>
> surface_air_pressure: The surface called "surface" means the
> lower boundary of the atmosphere.

The question is, does 'at_sea_level' imply a Z axis value of 0? And,
is the term 'surface' the equivalent of sea_level, except that it includes
areas over land? Or, is it somehow ... less exact?

If we're measuring BPR at around 2 meters, would we need to correct
the values to what the measurement would have been if the sensor
was at the actual sea surface, to use the term air_pressure_at_sea_level?

Or, is it acceptable to provide a Z axis coordinate and use the term
at_sea_level?

Thanks -
Nan

* Nan Galbraith        Information Systems Specailist *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                 (508) 289-2444 *