⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request: research papers which cite use of CF standard names

From: Robert Muetzelfeldt <r.muetzelfeldt>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:08:10 +0000

Hello,

I am involved in an initiative to make a database of ecological
models. Many of these models form clusters - for example, plant growth
or food-web modelling. Within a cluster, the naming of the variables
associated with each model is ad hoc - similar-but-slightly-different
names are used for the same quantity by different authors - because
there are no standard-naming conventions equivalent to CF Standard
Names. Using standard names would greatly help in searching for
models which used the same inputs, modelled the same processes or
produced the same outputs, and would make it much easier to link models
as modules in some integrated model.

In order to encourage the development of standard naming schemes in
these clusters, I thought it would be useful to find published examples
of climate research which actually drew on CF Standard Names in order to
bring together, or make comparisons between, different data sets -
something I presumed was the main use-case for the establishment of CF
Standard Names in the first place. I have looked through the material
on the CF Metadata site, including
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/other/cf_overview_article.pdf, and
can find no explicit pointers to such published research.

I also did the following searches on Google:
     cf-metadata "standard names" filetype:pdf
     "cf standard names" filetype:pdf
hoping that this would throw up papers which reported on such
research. Unfortunately, as far as I could see, none of the first 200
results for either search described research which had leveraged CF
Standard Names - they were all about CF Standard Names itself. I found
this very surprising. Maybe lots of published data analysis has been
undertaken using CF Standard Names and it's simply that the authors did
not feel the need to mention it, but that seems a bit unlikely.

Could members of this list provide a reference to maybe 3-4 relevant
research papers (ideally freely available online)? Apart from helping
me in my mission, I think this would also strengthen the case for CF
Standard Names itself, if potential adopters and funders could see
evidence of its use.

Many thanks,
Robert Muetzelfeldt

--
-----
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.