⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for surface aerosol optical properties

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:54:19 -0700

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your comments. My responses to your comments are below.

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

[PJC] OK. That makes sense (as a modeler I wasn't thinking of observational needs :-( ). I would leave _due_to_dry_aerosol as you have proposed (but see responses to 3a and 3b).

> 3a) For the terms with _due_to_pm1(10)_dry_aerosol, is the pm1(10)
> selection on ambient aerosol of dry aerosol?
>
> MF: Good point, even though my answer won't satisfy. This isn't finally
> concluded in the current SOPs, and both practices are being used. This
> is where current observations are a little "unclean".

[PJC] I would naturally expect X in _pmX_dry_aerosol to be the size of the dried aerosol. If this is not what you need then we should probably change the std_name (I do not know of an analogous example in CF). Either way, the definition should make clear what is intended. FWIW, CF already has _pmX_ambient_aerosol.

> 3b) Dry aerosol is usually described for std_names as '"Dry aerosol"
> means aerosol without water'. Your description is possibly better, but
> you might consider going with the former for consistency.
>
> MF: The wording I used describes what is used on the experimental side,
> so likely what the files will contain. I will have a look to make the
> wording more consistent.

[PJC] Your wording is probably what most people mean by 'dry'. It is an explicit part of CF that the standard names are the physical quantity of interest, and instrument and models do their best to determine the quantity, even though they do so imperfectly. IMHO, this is one of the great advantages of CF, although it is hard. How about you use something like the following, '"Dry aerosol" means aerosol without water, which in practice often means ...'?

> 4) I am not sure what you mean by surface_volume_ .
>
> MF: I was previously being told that the "volume" term needs to be part
> of a scattering_coefficient if the property refers to a volume of air
> as opposed to a surface. The "surface" preceding the "volume" on my
> proposed variable names is a qualification, and refers to the location
> , i.e. the lower bound of the atmosphere.

[PJC] I am still not sure I understand what you want. Is this some sort of surface albedo?

> 5) You mention that _hemispheric_backscattering_ is scattering into the
> 'rearward hemisphere relative to the incident beam'. This appears to
> be the same definition that is already given to both _backscattering_
> (eg, backscattering_ratio,
> histogram_of_backscattering_ratio_over_height_above_reference_ellipsoid
> ) and _backwards_scattering_ (eg,
> surface_backwards_scattering_coefficient_of_radar_wave,
> volume_attenuated_backwards_scattering_function_in_air_assuming_no_aero
> sol_or_cloud). Hence, it appears that we already have duplicate terms
> in the std_name table. We should probably pick a preferred option, and
> fix the other one with aliases.
>
> MF: This is going to be a tough one, especially since several
> communities with engrained customs are involved. I chose hemispheric in
> hemispheric_backscattering_coefficient, which is integrated over the
> rearward hemisphere as measured by some integrating nephelometers, from
> the backscattering_coefficient that isn't integrated over any solid
> angle (to be proposed soon), e.g. as measured by a lidar. In the
> examples you mention however, the term "backscattering" is already used
> for a property integrated over a solid angle. I've pondered over this
> one quite a while, but I keep coming back to the point that a
> standardised word for distinguishing angular integrated from non-
> angular integrated properties is needed - like "hemispheric". That
> wouldn't be a nice solution, since it implied aliases for 5 existing
> standard names. Any better ideas?

[PJC] I have a strong dislike for having multiple terms mean the same thing in CF. When it does creep in I try to eliminate them. I also like to try and keep terms short, because std_names can get very long. CF already has _scattering_function_ for angle dependent scattering (eg, volume_scattering_function_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water). On balance, I would use one of the existing terms (whichever CF decides is better).

> 6) We currently don't have any std_names with _due_to_aerosol. They
> all specify either _ambient_ or _dry_.
>
> MF: The reason why I didn't write "ambient" or "dry" here is that some
> data is neither nor. As written above, the sample is usually fed into a
> lab container (implicit warming) and dried (by diffusion dryer). Some
> sites, e.g. (sub)-tropical ones in summer, don't manage to dry the
> sample to < 40% RH. For these sites, the humidity state needs to be
> given in the file since it varies (I will correct the corresponding
> sentence in the definition), but it is neither dry nor ambient.

[PJC] This is a challenge because it puts two CF goals in conflict, ie accurately describing a variable and enabling quantities from different instruments and models to intercompare. To put it another way, the problem is that any data put into the std_name you suggest will be hard to use without additional information, since there is no way to know whether like quantities are being compared. Is it normal to have observation temperature and humidity data along with the aerosol measurements?