⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Convention attribute

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:27:41 -0800

Perhaps this problem can be resolved if we carefully distinguish between the convention *identifier* in the Conventions attribute, and the convention name (which can be in any other attribute, like Convention_Names or Metadata_Conventions). For the names we could specify either attribute, or both, or be silent.

I'd argue that good practices suggest that the identifier should be created to support automatic parsing of the netCDF Conventions attribute. Such a good practice would eliminate spaces from the identifier, given current guidance.

In this case I'd argue the value of supporting automated and deterministic detection of conventions, outweighs the cost of insisting the identifier can be free-form text. And although if I ran the world I'd standardize on the attribute for the full convention names and how to delimit them, it won't bother me too much if by our silence we force a human reader to scan through the rest of the attributes to find the full names of all the applicable conventions.

John

As in the example I tossed out earlier, OceanSITES 1.1" but that isn't the complete name of the convention I'm thinking.