⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new TEOS-10 standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 17:17:22 +0000

Dear Paul et al,

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to provide comments on the TEOS-10 names and particularly the definitions. I think the most useful standard name definitions are always the ones where we have had a lot of input from the experts.

We have been approaching agreement on these names for some time now and as there have not been any further comments during the last week I think it is time to declare the TEOS-10 names and definitions as formally accepted for inclusion in the standard name table. The following names will be added at the next update:

> sea_water_practical_salinity
> sea_water_cox_salinity
> sea_water_knudsen_salinity
> sea_water_reference_salinity
> sea_water_absolute_salinity
> sea_water_preformed_salinity
> sea_water_conservative_temperature
> sea_water_specific_potential_enthalpy
> change_over_time_in_sea_water_practical_salinity
> change_over_time_in_sea_water_absolute_salinity
> change_over_time_in_sea_water_preformed_salinity
> change_over_time_in_sea_water_conservative_temperature
> change_over_time_in_sea_water_specific_potential_enthalpy

The definitions of the existing names sea_water_salinity and sea_water_temperature will be modified as previously discussed. In addition, it has been agreed that a sentence should be added to the explanations of the other eleven existing salinity names to make it clear that they are generic, rather than tied to any particular definition of salinity:
change_over_time_in_sea_water_salinity; 1e-3
product_of_eastward_sea_water_velocity_and_salinity; m s-1
product_of_northward_sea_water_velocity_and_salinity; m s-1
sea_ice_salinity; psu (to be changed to 1e-3)
sea_surface_salinity; 1e-3
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_advection; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_bolus_advection; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_horizontal_mixing; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_sea_ice_thermodynamics; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_vertical_mixing; 1e-3 s-1.

Analogous standard names corresponding to specific definitions of salinity can be added at a later date, should the need arise.

In recognition of their contributions to this discussion both on and off the mailing list I will be adding the following names to the list of contributors to the standard name table:
Paul Durack
Trevor McDougall
Rainer Feistel.
Thanks again to everyone for helping to get these names agreed.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065