⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for sea water ph without

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:57:58 -0800

Well, this gets into subtleties of meaning and 'stuff', but here's my take:

If I have two values labeled sea_water_temperature, I can assume they are the same fundamental quality, and even if provided on different scales, those values can be converted to the same scale, using the information in the units attribute. So they are interoperable.

On the other hand, if I have two values labeled sea_water_pH, there is a conundrum. I may not know if these values need to be converted (because units will not necessarily give me a clue), and even if they are convertible in some sense, I don't have the auxiliary parameters that would be needed to do the conversion (just knowing the way it was measured is not enough). So we can not know these values are interoperable.

john