⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for sea water ph without

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 19:52:32 +0000

Hi Upendra,

It comes down to the significance of the difference between parameters according to tha application for which they are used. There ae two temperature scales - IPTS68 and ITS90. However, pragamatically for the period of time when IPTS68 was used the measurement uncertaintyfor sea temperature was significantly greater than the difference between the two scales. Assuming that sea temperature = ITS90 worked in practice (I hope everybody remembered to convert their post-90 high accuracy data to IPTS68 prior to input to the PSS78 algorithms:-)).

According to the expert carbonate system chemists, the difference between the pH scales is critical to their science - talk to the guys at CDIAC for more information. Hence the conclusion from the 2009 discussion.

Cheers, Roy.