⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: netcdf for particle trajectories

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:15:57 +0000

Dear Chris

> >I think its time to start using netcdf-4 for large collections of point
> >data which need to be compressed. Instead of first making a standard, we
> >need to try out the possibilities and see how it performs.
>
> That may be true, time to move on eventually! However, you can use
> netcdf4 for compression, but stille use a netcdf3 compatible data
> model, so I'd like to see netcdf4-only features used only if they
> really are necessary to get the data model we need.

That could be done if you can represent the data using a new kind of
featureType to be added to the CF chapter on discrete sampling geometries,
which will be included in CF 1.6 (coming soon). The text for the discrete
sampling geometry chapter is at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/public/CFch9-feb25_jg.pdf