⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: Proposed addition to CF principles: outside conventions

From: Thomas Lavergne <t.lavergne>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:53:29 +0000 (UTC)

Dear all,

This might be obvious for everyone, but there should probably be version numbers attached to the conventions CF wishes to incorporate. This would prevent possible damage when an external convention is first incroporated by CF, and then forks in a development path that is no more compatible with CF. We do not want "external convention foo" to be incorporated at every stage, but rather at a given date/version.

As an example, could we think of udunits (udunits2) as a convention that has been "incorporated" by CF for handling the units? If so, what happened when udunits2 was made authoritative: was the transition from CF point of view under control or not?

By the same token, should we think of some wordings for CF to quit (deprecate the use of) a previously incorporated convention?

Regards,
Thomas