⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standards for probabilities

From: Vegard Bønes <vegard.bones>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:10:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hi!

I am trying to create a document containing various probability values for weather forecasts. But I do have some problems finding out how to express what I want to say using the cf metadata standard.

I want to express such things as "25th percentile precipitation amount" (based on ensemble data), and probability that air temperature will be within 2.5 degrees of the forecast. How should I do this?

For percentiles, may I do something like this?

float precipitation_25(time, x, y) ;
        precipitation_25:standard_name = "precipitation_amount" ;
        precipitation_25:long_name = "precipitation_amount 25th percentile" ;

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no standardized names like probability_of_x or probability_of_x_within_y. How can I express this?

-- Vegard