⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [cf-satellite] Sharing quality flags among multiple variables

From: Upendra Dadi <Upendra.Dadi>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:44:49 -0400

Hi Jonathan,
    I wasn't very clear in the earlier mail. Actually, the quality flags
are different, but the attributes flag_values and flag_meanings are same
for all the flag variables. These attributes are being repeated within
each quality flag variable instead of perhaps having a single
"definition" of the flag_values and flag_meanings.

One solution we looked at is to have a "container variable" for flag
definitions which will be referred to by each of the flag variables,
something like this:

   float temperature(z);
      temperature:ancillary_variables = "temperature_WODflag";
   int temperature_WODflag(z);
     temperature:flag_definitions = "WOD_flag_definitions";
   float salinity(z);
      salinity:ancillary_variables = "salinity_WODflag";
   int salinity_WODflag(z);
     salinity:flag_definitions = "WOD_flag_definitions";

<similarly for other other variables>

   int WOD_flag_definitions;
      WOD_flag_definitions:flag_values = "0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9" ;
      WOD_flag_definitions:flag_meanings = "accepted_value range_outlier
failed_inversion_check failed_gradient_check
observed_level_bullseye_flag_and_zero_gradient_check combined_gradient
_and_inversion_checks failed_range_and_inversion_checks
failed_range_and_gradient_checks
failed_range_and_questionable_data_checks
failed_range_and_combined_gradient_and_inversion_checks" ;

Of course, flag_definitions is not a CF attribute and the above solution
wouldn't work with CF based software. Is there a way around within the
ambit of CF other than to repeat the flag definitions?

Upendra