⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Help needed with area_type and "surface type classification" datasets

From: Thomas Lavergne <t.lavergne>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:00:33 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Jonathan, and all,

Since there was no further discussion on this subject, I would like to conclude it by proposing a new standard name for sea ice classification products. The definition I propose is strongly inspired by that of the "soil_type" standard name, but also refers to the WMO Standard Nomenclature for Sea Ice Classification.

Proposed new standard name: sea_ice_classification

Proposed Definition:
A variable with the standard name of sea_ice_classification contains strings which indicate the character of the ice surface e.g. open_ice, or first_year_ice. These strings have not yet been standardised. However, and whenever possible, they should follow the terminology defined in the WMO Standard Nomenclature for Sea Ice Classification. Alternatively, the data variable may contain integers which can be translated to strings using flag_values and flag_meanings attributes.

Canonical units: "1"

Please comment and/or indicate if this is accepted and can be included in next version of the CF standard name table.

All the best,
Thomas