⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question on metadata for coordinate reference systems

From: Kennedy, Paul <P.Kennedy>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:38:16 +0800

Hi,
I have been trying to figure out the correct mechanism for the representation of coordinate reference system (CRS) metadata.

I read the online documents for CF conventions. It talks about the definition of a few CRS's but there are many and some are highlt complex (eg NZ MapGrid). While we could attempt to define attributes for all parameters in a given CRS this is a complex matter and is probably better handled by existing standards such as those in EPSG or PROJ (wkt).
Can anyone provide guidance on this?

In my perfect world we could simply drop in a 5 digit EPSG code and we are done.

Regards