⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Help needed with area_type and "surface type classification" datasets

From: Thomas Lavergne <t.lavergne>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:24:51 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Jonathan, and Jim,

I must say Jim's soil_type example appeals to me. It is a pragmatic solution that would get my dataset rapidly into the CF convention. It would require minimal interaction with the CF table of area_type. I would feel strongly encouraged to use as many existing area_type as possible (e.g. land, ice_free_see) but would also be allowed to use not-yet-standardized (sea ice surface) types.

On the other hand, I agree we should always give the standardization a try. In the present case however, I do not feel competent/authoritative enough to standardize/define the different sea ice classes I would need. Second, sea ice classification has quite a long history of standards following navigational ice charting needs. WMO already has a standard nomenclature for sea ice classification that covers most if not all needs. Would CF duplicate this nomenclature or refer to it? There is most probably a versioned document from WMO.

This being said, and unless I am mistaken, both soil_type and area_type are structurally equivalent in CF. Both can be stored as either a string dataset, or as a integer one with associated flag_values and flag_meanings attribute. The main difference is that the strings entering area_type must be defined in the standard table of area types.

If the above is correct, could we go for an intermediate solution (both in complexity and temporality) where I request a new standard name ('sea_ice_classification') that is structurally compatible with area_type (the way soil_type is) but for which the values/strings are "not yet standardized". It allows me to fully abide by the CF conventions for my dataset rapidly. When all my strings/values are first defined, then accepted in the area_type table (this might take some time, as we might want to seek advice from a wider community or go through the WMO nomenclature), then we alias "sea_ice_classification" to "area_type". Note I purposedly do not aim at "sea_ice_type" for my standard name since sea ice types are only a subset of the WMO sea ice classification nomenclature and might sound too restrictive or misleading for my purpose.

I am not sure you like the idea of defining standard names knowing a-priori they will end up as aliases, but to me this sounds like a workable solution for all.

Any further thoughts?

All the best,
Thomas