⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ragged Arrays?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:26:26 +0100

Dear Chris

I was hoping that someone else might respond to this, because there was a
discussion not so long ago on this email list about a similar issue.

> I'm working on a format for storing the output from a particle
> tracking model. Once we're happy with it, we'll post here for
> feedback, but for the moment a question:
>
> As many particle tracking models create and destroy particles as the
> run goes on, we have decided that a "ragged array" representation is
> the way to go. But I'm having trouble figure out the "standard" way
> to represent ragged arrays.

You refer in your email to the discrete sampling geometries proposal and
I think that should be the way to do it, and I wonder if this is topologically
the same as one of the existing feature_types. The final agreed version of
that proposal, which will be in the next version of CF now being compiled,
is at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/public/CFch9-feb25_jg.pdf
(see track ticket 37). Does it do what you need?

Cheers

Jonathan