⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Mapping from internal data conventions to CF conventions

From: Kennedy, Paul <P.Kennedy>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:20:16 +0800

hi,

I am attempting to map from our existing conventions to CF conventions. Most of the mappings appear straight forward, but I do have a few curly ones. I read the "Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names" page, but it did not help my situation.

As you can see, I may 'Easting" to CF convention:'projection_x_coordinate', where easting represents raw UTC coordinates.

However, I also have 'CorrEasting' which represents the corrested (despiked, smoothed) easting for the same observation. We need to maintain both the raw and the corrected value (for QC purposes) Any ideas how I should map my data? If you can give me a clue, I am sure my other tables will follow the same pattern.

One example data table is as follows...

Field Name <http://osdwiki.fugro/?title=Starfix_POS_file_format>

Description / Data Type <http://osdwiki.fugro/?title=Starfix_POS_file_format>

CFConvention <http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-table/18/cf-standard-name-table.html> <http://osdwiki.fugro/?title=Starfix_POS_file_format>

Time;

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_TIME_GPS)

The time stamp of the observation. This is the time of applicability, NOT the time of reception. The units are seconds since 6-1-1980 (Gps Origin).

time

FFID;

double;

This is typically the same as the shotpoint, but it can also be used as a 'Fiducial Fix Identifier' a unique fix number)

FFID (no convention available)

ShotPoint

double

This is the shotpoint, also know as the fix number

Shotpoint (no convention available)

Easting

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_EASTING)

The RAW unprocessed, projected eastings (in metres) in the projected coordinate system for that project.

projection_x_coordinate

Northing

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_NORTHING)

The RAW unprocessed, projected northings (in metres) in the projected coordinate system for that project.

projection_y_coordinate

Height

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_HEIGHT)

The orthometric height in metres.

height

Kp

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_KP)

The kilometre post in metres (also called chainage, 'M' in other packages).

Kp (no convention available)

Offset

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_OFFSET)

The distance cross course, in metres, where -ve is to the left of the route, and positive is to the right of the route.

Offset (no convention available)

LineName

char[64]

The route linename. This can be a pipe route, cable route or survey line.

LineName

ProcFlags

long purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_PROCFLAGS)

ProcFlags

CorrEasting

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_EASTING)

The FULLY processed, projected eastings (in metres) in the projected coordinate system for that project.

CorrNorthing

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_NORTHING)

The FULLY processed, projected northings (in metres) in the projected coordinate system for that project.

CorrHeight

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_HEIGHT)

The FULLY processed, orthometric height (in metres) in the projected coordinate system for that project.

Speed

double purpose(MSG_PURPOSE_SPEED)

The vessel speed in metres per second. this is typically based on the raw positions, not the 'Corr' positions.

Paul Kennedy

Technical Development Manager

Fugro Survey Pty Ltd

24 Geddes St, Balcatta