⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for stations

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:52:40 -0400

On 8/27/11 5:10 AM, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:
> I would suggest some fine tuning of this to:
>
> platform_name
> platform_id (note this needs to be alphanumeric to support ICES ship codes widely used in oceanography)
> platform_id_authority (mandatory if platform_id present)
> platform_description
>
> I wonder if the concept of authority is relevant to names - who is the authority for a ship's name? Even if relevant, there is no guarantee that the authority will be the same as the platfom_id and somebody will want to include both a name and an id. If people feel that a name authority is required then I would label it platform_name_authority rather than having one name doing two jobs.

Agreed - multiple authorities are needed. Our buoys have a
platform_name conferred by OceanSITES and, usually, a WMO
platform_id as well.

Naming_authority seems to me to be especially important for ships'
names; the 'authority' could be any body that maintains, or, preferably
serves, a list of these names in a standard form. That would enable us
to e.g. equivalence R.V. Ronald H. Brown and brown.

Do we need to specify whether the _id is numeric or character? I'd prefer
to leave that to the user and his code.

> The nature of the platform dscription merits a little discussion. Controlled terms, particularly if accompanied by definitions, are always much more helpful than plaintext. There is an internationally-governed platform type vocabulary used in the SeaDataNet and ICES systems (http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/list/L06). There is also at least one relevant WMO vocabulary (VOS types).
This is another good resource; thanks, Roy.
> If formalisation of the description is agreed then we could either keep 'platform_description' for plaintext and add 'platform_type' plus 'platform_type_authority' or standardise 'platform_description' by adding 'platform_description_authority'.
>
> Finally, I think we need to agree how an authority is represented. My choice would be a namespace URL, but maybe there are other ideas.
I'd have thought something like 'WMO' or SeaDataNet would be enough,
but ... maybe not. We really don't want to get into needing to use a
platform_id_authority_authority.

On the other hand, if it's got to be a namespace URL, I sincerely hope
it's allowed to, or required to, be human-readable. It won't go well if
my platform_id is 372224 and my platform_id_authority is a url ending
in term/P00/4/41. My CF files are written by human-generated code,
and I like the CDL files to convey meaning to humans as well.

Maybe put the URL in yet another field, platform_id_authority_reference?

Cheers - Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *