⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is there a convention defining day offsets to use for monthly average time series?

From: Bert Jagers <bert.jagers>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:09:23 +0200

Thanks Jonathan,

I didn't think of that dependency. So, if

varN:coordinates = "lat lon";
varN:cell_methods = "lat: point lon: point";

for *all* variables 'varN' that relate to 'lat' and 'lon' as
coordinates, then the 'bounds' attributes on 'lat' and 'lon' are
superfluous and can be skipped. If any one of the variables refers to
'lat'/'lon' by means of a cell method other than 'point', e.g. 'mean',
then it must be specified what range/cell the cell_method relates to
i.e. 'bounds' should be required. That seems more like a consistency
*requirement* than merely a recommendation. If 'cell_methods' is not
specified on one or more variables, then the need for 'bounds' becomes
more fuzzy. The discussion on the default interpretation for
'cell_methods' in Section 7.3 suggests that one might distinguish
between extensive quantities like 'cloud_area_fraction' and intensive
quantities like 'sea_surface_height'. The former might require it,
whereas it would be optional in the latter case. However, in order to
avoid too complex logic, I would agree with a general recommendation to
include 'bounds' when 'cell_methods' is missing on one or more variables.

Best regards,

Bert
--------