⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is there a convention defining day offsets to use for monthly average time series?

From: Upendra Dadi <Upendra.Dadi>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:20:18 -0400

Hi Steve,
    As I understand, without bounds, strictly speaking, the data is
regularly spaced point data. So, should it really belong to discrete
sampling geometries since "Discrete sampling geometry datasets are
characterized by a dimensionality that is lower than that of the
space-time region that is sampled"? If yes, featureType could possibly
be used to resolve the ambiguity. Just my two cents.

Upendra

On 8/11/2011 12:33 PM, Steve Hankin wrote:

> On 8/11/2011 9:14 AM, Upendra Dadi wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a related question about "bounds" attribute. I often see
>> regularly gridded latitude-longitude data which do not have "bounds"
>> specified when probably they should. But they almost always have
>> regularly spaced latitude and longitude values which are at the
>> middle of each cell. CF checkers have no way to identify the problem
>> since files are valid both ways even though CF implementations might
>> interpret them differently (do they?). My question is what are the
>> consequences of not having "bounds" for analysis operations that are
>> commonly used in various models.
>>
> Hi Upendra,
>
> The introduction to CF Chapter 4 states:
>
> "If bounds are not provided, an application might reasonably
> assume the gridpoints to be at the centers of the cells, but we do
> not require that in this standard. "
>
> Arguably this could/should be tightened up to say "If bounds are not
> provided, applications should assume the gridpoints to be at the
> centers of the cells. " in order to remove any ambiguity. Opinions
> whether there might be any backwards compatibility issues from this
> change?
>
> - Steve
>
>> Upendra

>>> At the moment, IMO the best that can be done in CF is to accurately
>>> record the date range (using the bounds attribute). The coordinate
>>> value should then be considered for labeling purposes only. Make a
>>> one line description and put into the long_name attribute. Make sure
>>> you have human readable documentation that explains whats going on
>>> in detail, and add a global attribute that references it. Set up a
>>> 24-hour hotline to answer questions, staffed by post-docs wearing
>>> beepers. Ok, maybe not the last ;^)