⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is there a convention defining day offsets to use for monthly average time series?

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:33:04 -0700

On 8/11/2011 9:14 AM, Upendra Dadi wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a related question about "bounds" attribute. I often see
> regularly gridded latitude-longitude data which do not have "bounds"
> specified when probably they should. But they almost always have
> regularly spaced latitude and longitude values which are at the middle
> of each cell. CF checkers have no way to identify the problem since
> files are valid both ways even though CF implementations might
> interpret them differently (do they?). My question is what are the
> consequences of not having "bounds" for analysis operations that are
> commonly used in various models.

Hi Upendra,

The introduction to CF Chapter 4 states:

    "If bounds are not provided, an application might reasonably assume
    the gridpoints to be at the centers of the cells, but we do not
    require that in this standard. "

Arguably this could/should be tightened up to say "If bounds are not
provided, applications should assume the gridpoints to be at the centers
of the cells. " in order to remove any ambiguity. Opinions whether
there might be any backwards compatibility issues from this change?

     - Steve